Young Subjects: Children, State-Building, & Social Reform in the Eighteenth-Century French World (McGill-Queen’s University Press, forthcoming)
Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals:
- 2019 “Breaking a Child’s Will: Eighteenth-Century Parisian Juvenile Detention Centers,” French Historical Studies (Vol 42, No. 2, 2019).
- William S. Koren Prize for the best article in French history from the Society for French Historical Studies (Honorable Mention)
- “Top 5 Most Read” of 2019 for French Historical Studies
- 2017 “Tattletales: Childhood & Authority in Eighteenth-Century France,” Journal of the History of Childhood and Youth (Vol. 10, No. 2, Spring 2017, pp.169-187)
- Fass-Sandin Article Prize for the best article in any journal in English 2017 for the Society of the History of Childhood and Youth
- Best Article Prize in 2017 for the Journal of the History of Childhood and Youth
- Honorable Mention, Neil Sutherland Article Prize, History of Children and Youth Group of the Canadian Historical Association
- 2011 “The Crown’s Catholic Subjects: Lyon’s Écoles de Charité and the French State, 1660-1689,” Proceedings of The Western Society for French History, Volume 39 (2011)
- “Review: Mettray: A History of France’s Most Venerated Carceral Institution,” Journal of Social History (forthcoming)
- “Review: A Primer for Teaching Women, Gender, & Sexuality in World History,” RGWS: A Feminist Review (2019)
- “Review: Scandal in the Paris: Priests and Parishioners Behaving Badly in Eighteenth-Century France,” Church History (2020)
- “Review: The Witch: A History of Fear, from Ancient Times to the Present,” Mediterranean Studies, Vol. 27, No. 1 (2019)
- “Review: Ritual and Conflict: The Social Relations of Childbirth in Early Modern England,” The Sixteenth Century Journal, Volume XLV, No. 4 (Winter 2014).
- “Review: The Government of Childhood: Discourse, Power, and Subjectivity,” Journal for the History of Childhood and Youth”
Book Chapters in Peer Reviewed Collections:
- “A Fate Worse than Death: Banishment & Forced Youth Migration in Early Modern France,” in The Routledge History of Loneliness (Routledge). Invited author. Under contract.
- “Digitally Mapping Space and Time in the History General Education Survey: Google Maps & TimelineJS,” Teaching with the Digital Humanities (Indiana University Press, in contract). Invited author. In-Press.
- “Education & Work in Early Modern Europe,” A Cultural History of Youth (Bloomsbury, in contract). Invited author. Submitted.
- “Part of the Long History of Child Trafficking: 18th-Century French Louisiana,” The Junto, posted June 27, 2018.
- “Twitter Conferences: To Do or Not To Do?,” The Junto, posted May 24, 2018.
- “Why We Doubt Capable Children: Constructing Childhood in the Revolutionary Era,” The Junto, posted April 17, 2018.
- “Teaching the Early Modern Penis-Vagina,” Notches, posted March 2018. Peer-Reviewed.
- “Food in the West: Using TimelineJS in the Classroom,” AHA Today’s Teaching with #DigHist, posted March 2018.
- Podcast, Episode 103, “French Child Ambassadors in the East,” 15 Minute History, Feb 2018
- “Mapping the Early Modern World: Using Google Maps in the Classroom,” AHA Today’s Teaching with #DigHist, posted October 2017.
- Podcast, Episode 96: Louis XIV’s Absolutism and the “Affair of the Poisons,” 15 Minute History, September 13, 2017
- “Child Gangs and Motherly Duty at the Onset of Revolution,” Age of Revolutions Blog, August 2017
- “Prix de Moralité: The Inculcation of Young French Citizens,” at Age of Revolutions Blog, June 2017
- “Ten Things to Remember During Your Research Year,” Not Even Past, June 5, 2014, https://notevenpast.org/ten-things-to-remember-your-research-year/
- “Why is Anne Hathaway So Sad? The History Behind Les Misérables,” Not Even Past, January 14, 2013, https://notevenpast.org/why-anne-hathaway-so-sad-history-behind-les-miserables/
- “Les Misérables: A Historian’s Review,” The Alcalde, January 16, 2013, http://alcalde.texasexes.org/2013/01/les-miserables-a-historians-review/
- “Review: State of Virginity: Gender, Religion, and Politics in an Early Modern Catholic State,” Not Even Past, February 17, 2013, http://www.notevenpast.org/read/state-virginity-gender-religion-and-politics-early-modern-catholic-state-2004
- “Death and Decadence: Vatel,” Not Even Past, May 9, 2011, http://www.notevenpast.org/watch/death-and-decadence-vatel
- “Review: Sarah’s Key,” Not Even Past, September 7, 2011, http://www.notevenpast.org/read/sarahs-key
- “Review: A Tale of Two Murders: Passion and Power in Seventeenth-Century France,” Not Even Past, October 2010, http://www.notevenpast.org/read/tale-two-murders-passion-and-power-seventeenth-century-france-2005
Click Projects in Progress for information on my book manuscript plan and articles in preparation.